Tom Lane wrote:

BTW, I fat-fingered the calculations I was doing last night --- the
actual shmem consumption in CVS tip seems to be more like 17K per
max_connection increment, assuming max_locks_per_connection = 64.

ITYM max_locks_per_transaction (which as the docs say is confusingly named).

So if we went to 256, say, as an upper limit on max_connections, that would account for an extra 2.6Mb of memory use - a pretty modest increase, really.

cheers

andrew