On Jan 12, 2006, at 9:03 PM, Christopher Kings-Lynne wrote:

Default schema really has to be public to help the newbies out there. All contribs should come with some sort of standard uninstall.sql script though.

Speaking of contrib newbies and install/uninstall, I recently had the need to install tsearch2 in a shared hosting environment (where, of course, I don't have superuser access). Since there are C language functions, I could not install it. The hoster's solution was to install it in template1 which seems bad because (1) now everyone gets it whether they want it or not, (2) restoring the database is going to have permission problems.

Would it be reasonable for there to be a way for the super user to grant access to load "approved" modules and/or C language functions?

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL

              http://archives.postgresql.org