* Dave Page (dpage@vale-housing.co.uk) wrote:
> This has been the subject of discussion for many months and the
> concencus was that the most effective approach was the hybrid one which
> has now been moved into CVS tip. Those involved are fully aware of the
> maintenance issues of implementing the wire protocol in the driver, as
> well as the difficulties using libpq entirely caused (that is how the
> 08.01.xxxx driver works). Changing direction again simply isn't going to
> happen.

There was barely any discussion at all about this...  I do follow the
lists involved even though I didn't respond to the question regarding
this (either time it was asked) because I didn't understand that
'hybrid' meant 'only using libpq for the connection'.  I'm curious how
many others of those being asked understood this...  I think the fact
that you had to ask twice to get any response at all is a good
indication.

Does the latest verion in CVS support V3 of the wireline protocol?  If I
recall correctly, the version it was based on still only supported V2...

What does the wireline protocol implementation in the ODBC driver do
that it can't get through libpq?  I can certainly understand the
double-copying issue (I complained about that myself when first starting
to use libpq) but I think that could be fixed without that much
difficulty.  Were there other things?

        Thanks,

                Stephen