""Joshua D. Drake"" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote

> What if single line statements that were seperated by ; within psql were
> implicitly within a transaction?
>
> E.g;
>
> postgres=# select * from foo; update foo set bar = 'baz'; delete from
bing;

> Would be a single transaction ? The begin/commit would be implicit.

This is not in a single transaction currently. This is not a back compatible
behavior. Also, I am not sure how difficult to implement it in current psql
code. Think of this case:

begin;
select; update; delete;
end;

Line 2 is already in a transaction, so psql must be able to tell it (maybe
we already be able to do so?). Not to speak of the SAVEPOINT control points.

Regards,
Qingqing