Mark Kirkwood wrote:

Jim C. Nasby wrote:

Here's the relevant thread:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2005-12/msg00756.php

The intention is to flesh out the existing pg_get_blahdef functions,
such as pg_get_viewdef(). This clearly means that the functions should
output a complete CREATE command.

Ok, good point, if I'm writing some admin or data movement package, then these guys would be great!

I guess a possible compromise for those who want to keep the core backend lean is to implement pg_get_blahdef (and friends) in a contrib module similar to (or part of) the adminpack stuff.

This would mean that pg_dump would *not* use them - but if I've followed this thread properly, that may be fine.

Yes ... except that I don't see any good reason to have these in a contrib module and keep, say, pg_get_viewdef() in core. They belong together, I think, and I don't think they represent so much bloat that having them in core would be a huge problem. Either way, pg_dump should not use them, I think. One reason pg_dump should not use them is that creation might involve several things which it would want to split up for reasons of efficiency and robustness, e.g. delaying creation of a constraint until after data is loaded.

cheers

andrew

              http://archives.postgresql.org