Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> ha scritto:
paolo romano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> The point i am missing is the need to be able to completely recover
> multixacts offsets and members data. These carry information about
> current transactions holding shared locks on db tuples, which should
> not be essential for recovery purposes.

This might be optimizable if we want to assume that multixacts will never
be used for any purpose except holding locks, but that seems a bit short
sighted. Is there any actually significant advantage to not logging
this information?

regards, tom lane

I can see two main advantages:

 * Reduced I/O Activity: during transaction processing: current workloads are typically dominated by reads (rather than updates)... and reads give rise to multixacts (if there are at least two transactions reading the same page or if an explicit lock request is performed through heap_lock_tuple). And (long) transactions can read a lot of tuples, which directly translates into (long) multixact logging sooner or later. To accurately estimate the possible performance gain one should perform some profiling, but at first glance ISTM that there are good potentialities.

 * Reduced Recovery Time: because of  shorter logs & less data structures to rebuild... and reducing recovery time helps improving system availability so should not be overlooked.

Regards,

   Paolo