On Sat, 24 Jun 2006, Mark Woodward wrote:

I'm probably mistaken, but aren't there already forward references in
tuples to later versions? If so, I'm only sugesting reversing the order
and referencing the latest version.

I thought I understood your idea, but now you lost me again. I thought what you want is that the older heap tuple has a pointer to the newer one. Which it already has, it's called t_ctid.

Can you try to explain more carefully how the whole thing would work? What would an index tuple point to? What pointers would a heap tuple have? What would an index scan do to find the row version it's interested in? What exactly would an update do?

- Heikki

              http://archives.postgresql.org