Marc Munro wrote:

For the record, here are the results of our (ongoing) inevstigation into
the index/heap corruption problems I reported a couple of weeks ago.

We were able to trigger the problem with kernels 2.6.16, 2.6.17 and
2.6.18.rc1, with 2.6.16 seeming to be the most flaky.

By replacing the NFS-mounted netapp with a fibre-channel SAN, we have
eliminated the problem on all kernels.

From this, it would seem to be an NFS bug introduced post 2.6.14, though
we cannot rule out a postgres bug exposed by unusual timing issues.

Our starting systems are:
Sun v40z 4 x Dual Core AMD Opteron(tm) Processor 875
Kernel 2.6.16.14 #8 SMP x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux (and others)
kernel boot option: elevator=deadline
16 Gigs of RAM
postgresql-8.0.8-1PGDG
Bonded e1000/tg3 NICs with 8192 MTU.
Slony 1.1.5

NetApp FAS270 OnTap 7.0.3
Mounted with the NFS options
rw,nfsvers=3,hard,rsize=32768,wsize=32768,timeo=600,tcp,noac
Jumbo frames 8192 MTU.

All postgres data and logs are stored on the netapp.

All tests results were reproduced with postgres 8.0.8

__
Marc