On 7/20/06, Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
One frequent source of confusion are the different units that the parameters
in postgresql.conf use.  shared_buffers is in 8 kB, work_mem is in 1 kB;
bgwriter_delay is in milliseconds, checkpoint_warning is in seconds.
Obviously, we can't change that without inconveniencing a lot of users.

I think it would be useful to allow units to be added to these settings, for
example

shared_buffers = 1000kB
checkpoint_warning = 30s

This would also allow

shared_buffers = 512MB

which is a bit cumbersome to calculate right now (you'd need = 65536).

I haven't thought yet how to parse or implement this, but would people find
this useful?

+1.  In addition, that would make conffile self-documenting.

--
marko

      match