Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Output from SHOW uses the largest unit that fits as long as the number
> is an integer.

That seems OK for SHOW, which is mainly intended for human consumption,
but what will you do with pg_settings?  For programmatic use I think
we want more predictable behavior.

I'm inclined to suggest adding a column "native units" to pg_settings,
which shows what the underlying units are (ie, the existing
interpretations) and then always show the value of a given variable
in its native unit.

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq