Tom Lane wrote:
Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:
Peter's not said exactly how he plans to deal with
this, but I suppose it'll round off one way or the other ...

It'll get truncated by integer division. I wouldn't mind if someone proposed a patch to create a warning or error in this case, but I wanted to keep the initial version simple.

I'd recommend against that.  Apple recently changed OS X so that
it rejects SHMMAX settings that aren't an exact multiple of
something-or-other, and I've found that to be a *serious* PITA.
Of course part of the problem is that there's no helpful message,
but it's still a big loss from a usability standpoint, and quite
unnecessary (every other Unix seems willing to round off...)

One thought is that maybe we should round up not down?  I'm having
a hard time making a specific case either way, though.

Rounding up would have the advantage that you could just specify "0"
in the config file, and have postgres use the smallest value possible.

greetings, Florian Pflug

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq