Tom Lane wrote:
Joe Conway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
Tom Lane wrote:

Also, if we do this we probably ought to remove the special-purpose
hack for preload_libraries to specify an init function --- it should
just happen by default.  Any objections to simplifying that?

The original idea of using the init function with preload_libraries was to eliminate library startup that was expensive and only needed once. Specifically in the case of libR (and presumably other libraries as well), the init time was much greater than the actual library load time. If it is removed from preload_libraries, then we'll pay that price for every backend startup, no?

No, my thought is that you'd rename PL/R's init function to PG_init, and
then it'd get called automagically without needing to assume that the DBA
remembers to specify it in preload_libraries.  If there's a reason *not*
to do that then it'd be a strike against this whole proposal, methinks.

Oh, well that sounds perfect to me. At least in the case of a procedural language handler you can easily initialize and cache anything that must be done per-backend anyway. It's the "expensive but must be done at least once stuff" that was a problem. As long as that happens, I'm happy. And if we eliminate a dba dependency, so much the better.

Joe

              http://archives.postgresql.org