Sorry, copied to list.

On 8/11/06, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
3. Throw an error (thereby rolling back the incomplete update)
if client closes the portal without having run it to completion.

Sounds like the most reasonable considering.  I'm not averse to it.

4. Treat PORTAL_ONE_RETURNING like PORTAL_UTIL_SELECT rather than
like PORTAL_ONE_SELECT; that is, execute the query to completion
on first call and stash the results in a tuplestore until the
client fetches them.

I agree that it's inefficient, but am trying to think of any other
positive reasons for doing #4 instead.  Can you think of any other
advantages system-wide to using #4 instead of #3?

--
Jonah H. Harris, Software Architect | phone: 732.331.1300
EnterpriseDB Corporation            | fax: 732.331.1301

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq