Greg,

In short, it's just a tool to solve a problem we actually have (having a
convenient archive of data about current and past bugs) without inventing
problems to solve with extra process that we aren't already doing anyways.

RT can be set up similarly but I'm not sure how much work it would take to
make it as seamless. Debbugs has the advantage of working that way pretty much
out of the box.

Debbugs would be good too. I'll quiz the Debian folks here at the conference about what issues there are with the system.

FWIW, MySQL is pretty proud of their bug tracker, and Marten offered to open source it for us. ;-)

--Josh Berkus

              http://archives.postgresql.org