Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Am Donnerstag, 17. August 2006 18:40 schrieb Josh Berkus:
I'm in favor of this, but do we want to turn on vacuum_delay by default
as well?

People might complain that suddenly their vacuum runs take four times as long (or whatever). Of course, if we turn on autovacuum and advocate a more or less hands-off vacuum policy, they won't have to care either way. All of this would certainly be release-notes material.

Does anyone, for that matter, want to propose possible default parameters for vacuum_delay?

I said vacuum_delay but I should have been more specific, there are autovacuum GUC variables which is what we should be talking about. This way manually run, or nighly run by cron vacuums are still as fast as they ever were.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster