Chris Browne wrote:
>>> I also seem to recall, in past discussions about "library matters,"
>>> that AIX is more sticky about requiring that libraries be named
>>> expressly.
>>
>> ecpglib has
>>
>> SHLIB_LINK = -L../pgtypeslib -lpgtypes $(libpq) \
>>         $(filter -lintl -lssl -lcrypto -lkrb5 -lcrypt -lm, $(LIBS))
>> $(PTHREAD_LIBS)
>>
>> ifeq ($(PORTNAME), win32)
>> # Link to shfolder.dll instead of shell32.dll
>> SHLIB_LINK += -lshfolder
>> endif
>>
>> Presumably the same would be necessary everywhere else libpq is used.
>
> I replaced:
> SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq)
>
> with
> SHLIB_LINK = $(libpq) $(LIBS)
>
> which allowed the compile to get through this.

Do you build static or dynamic?
What is the output of 'ldd psql'?

I am wondering because I had similar problems building on AIX (5.3)
before I told the linker to look for libpq.so BEFORE libpq.a
by giving it LDFLAGS="-Wl,-bdynamic,-brtl" (using gcc).

This is just a thought - triggered by your remark that 'AIX is more
sticky about requiring that libraries be named expressly'.
Because in a static build you'd have to specify all the libraries
whenever you link.

Yours,
Laurenz Albe

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster