Praveen Kumar N wrote:

Following is the output of query i have executed.

Looks like Alvaro guessed right. It reads both relations in sequence, sorts them in temporary storage, outside bufmgr, and then does a merge join on the sorted inputs.

If you want to see the behavior you expected, I think you need to define indexes on a2 and b2, if you don't have them already, and coerce the planner to choose a nested loop join. I'd suggest using "SET enable_seqscan=false; SET enable_bitmapscan=false;" and see if that gets you a nested loop join.

--
 Heikki Linnakangas