Gevik Babakhani <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> I was wondering if I should go ahead and add a macro datatype like the
> SERIAL, only this time for the uuid.

This assumes a fact not in evidence, which is that we're going to accept
a uuid-generation function as part of core.  AFAIK the only reasonably
non-contentious part of this proposal is the ability to *store* uuids.
Generating new ones introduces a host of portability and other issues.

Considering the amount of pain involved in supporting SERIAL in the
parser, pg_dump, etc, I'd say that adding the above is a pretty certain
route to getting your patch rejected as too invasive.  If, three or four
versions down the road, large numbers of people are using uuid with the
same generation function, *then* it might be time to think about
introducing a macro type.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster