Alvaro Herrera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Strangely, if I try to do a "cvs add gram.c", it fails with
> cvs add: `gram.c' added independently by second party
> I don't know what this means.  (Why "second party" and not "third
> party"?).  Even if I delete gram.c.  Even if I remove it from
> .cvsignore.

I think "cvs add" probably contacts the server, because I seem to recall
that it gives different output depending on whether the file already
exists on another branch, and there's no way to tell that from your
local working directory contents.

The CVS history for gram.c looks a bit confused:
http://developer.postgresql.org/cvsweb.cgi/pgsql/src/backend/parser/Attic/gram.c
How did revisions 2.89 and 2.90 come into existence when the file was
already cvs-removed?  This may be confusing the server too.