> Linux:
>
> $ echo 'DROP FUNCTION if exists foo(int);' | psql 1c Timing is on.
> SET
> Time: 197.941 ms
> NOTICE:  function foo(░) does not exist ... skipping
> ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x90
> HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not
> match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
> "client_encoding".
> ERROR:  invalid byte sequence for encoding "UTF8": 0x90
> HINT:  This error can also happen if the byte sequence does not
> match the encoding expected by the server, which is controlled by
> "client_encoding".
>

> FreeBSD:
> % echo 'DROP FUNCTION if exists foo(int);' | psql wow SET
> NOTICE:  function foo(%
>

> Looks like uninitialized pointer...

Not being an expert, but to me it looks like the client_encoding being set to
UTF8 but the data being sent is something other than UTF8. I've seen this
happen on Linux when connecting with PuTTY from Windows (and then psql from the
linux machine) and having the wrong encoding set in PuTTY. I'd double and
triple-check the client-side stuff first ;-)

//Magnus