Heikki Linnakangas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> What's the purpose of mark/restrpos in heapam.c?

It's deadwood --- see the comment for ExecSupportsMarkRestore:

/*
 * ExecSupportsMarkRestore - does a plan type support mark/restore?
 *
 * XXX Ideally, all plan node types would support mark/restore, and this
 * wouldn't be needed.  For now, this had better match the routines above.
 * But note the test is on Plan nodetype, not PlanState nodetype.
 *
 * (However, since the only present use of mark/restore is in mergejoin,
 * there is no need to support mark/restore in any plan type that is not
 * capable of generating ordered output.  So the seqscan, tidscan,
 * functionscan, and valuesscan support is actually useless code at present.)
 */

I haven't seen a reason to take it out, but if you have in mind
something that would actively break it, removing it is no problem.

               http://archives.postgresql.org