On Fri, Sep 29, 2006 at 01:06:09PM -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> DF,
>
> > I'd like to propose a feature for 8.3, which would let login roles
> > have a default search_path both globally, as it is now, and
> > per-database.  This is because in general no two databases have
> > any schemas in common, and a login role should be able to do
> > something reasonable just by connecting.
>
> Yes.  I've been bitten by this more than once ...

Come to think of it, this ties in with the "ON (DIS)CONNECT TRIGGER"
idea that others have brought up in the past.  The trigger idea may be
too big a hammer, and might even be ill-advised from a design point of
view, but I thought I'd bring it up anyhow.

> However, it almost seems like this would become a piece of the other
> per-database-user stuff we'd like to do, like "local superuser".

I'm not sure that's the same.  The thing about superuser as it exists
now is the ability to write to the filesystem, which means that
there's no boundary really possible.  Maybe some kind of tiered system
of users with more than 2 tiers...but that sounds pretty byzantine to
me.

Cheers,
David Fetter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> http://fetter.org/
phone: +1 415 235 3778        AIM: dfetter666
                              Skype: davidfetter

Remember to vote!