On 10/3/06, Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

I can't shake the feeling that merely tweaking the way our varlenas work with
a shortvarlena or with compressed varlena headers is missing the real source
of our headaches. It seems very strange to me to be trying to step through a
tuple with length bits at the head of every field. It's a lot of work spent
dealing with a terribly inconvenient format when we can pick the format to be
whatever we like.

one advantage of the current system is that columns with nulls do not
require any storage.  so you can alter table add column for free on a
really big table.  ISTM that your approch would require moving all the
static fields in if you added a static field regardless, right?

merlin

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend