"Mark Woodward" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Not to cause any arguments, but this is sort a standard discussion that
> gets brought up periodically and I was wondering if there has been any
> "softening" of the attitudes against an "in place" upgrade, or movement to
> not having to dump and restore for upgrades.

Whenever someone actually writes a pg_upgrade, we'll institute a policy
to restrict changes it can't handle.  But until we have a credible
upgrade tool it's pointless to make any such restriction.  ("Credible"
means "able to handle system catalog restructurings", IMHO --- without
that, you'd not have any improvement over the current rules for minor
releases.)