Robert Treat <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Anything that can be done to wheedle down your choices
> before you have to run EXPLAIN ANALYZE is a bonus.

Fair enough, but I prefer Peter's suggestion of attaching the
hypothetical index definitions to EXPLAIN itself, rather than making
bogus catalog entries.  Something along the line of

EXPLAIN <statement>
ASSUMING INDEX fooi ON foo ....
[ ASSUMING INDEX ... ]

although this exact syntax probably doesn't work unless we're willing
to make ASSUMING a fully reserved word :-(

I have some vague recollection that this idea has been discussed
before...