On 10/23/06, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
It's not so much that I don't trust Intel as that a CRC algorithm is
exactly the sort of nice little self-contained thing that people love
to try to patent these days.  What I am really afraid of is that someone
else has already invented this same method (or something close enough
to it) and filed for a patent that Intel doesn't know about either.
I'd be wondering about that no matter where the code had come from.

Given the numbers I posted earlier today, the proposal is dead in the
water anyway, quite aside from any legal considerations.

The horror, the horror.  I wonder if changing to Slicing by 8 would be
so self contained, so that people from software-patent free world
would be able to just patch their distribution if they will.

  Regards,
     Dawid