Neil Conway wrote:
On Fri, 2006-10-20 at 22:59 +0200, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Nothing except initdb should add objects in pg_catalog. AFAICS, adminpack doesn't have any special requirements, so it should behave like all other contrib modules.

Where are we on this? When this topic was last discussed, the three
alternatives were:

        (1) Modify contrib/adminpack to not use the pg_catalog schema,
            per the consensus that contrib/ packages installing objects
            into that schema is broken behavior

        (2) Don't modify contrib/adminpack, for the sake of backward
            compatibility

        (3) Remove contrib/adminpack from the Postgres distribution

I think the discussion was edging toward #3, but #2 is the only option
that I'm not happy with. Any other opinions out there?

Looking back over the thread, it appears that only you and Peter objected to it as it is now. Tom, Andreas and myself were of the opinion it was fine as it is, and whilst he didn't comment on how it should be implemented, Simon made the point that supporting admin tools from the core distribution was important which I take to mean he is against #3.

Regards, Dave.

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq