Patrick Welche wrote:
Is this a bug, or don't I understand coalesce()?

create table test (a int, b int);
insert into test values (1,null);
insert into test values (2,1);
insert into test values (2,2);
select * from test;                             -- returns:
select sum(b) from test where a=1;              -- null
select sum(b) from test where a=2;              -- 3
select coalesce(0,sum(b)) from test where a=1;  -- 0
select coalesce(0,sum(b)) from test where a=2;  -- 0
delete from test where a=1;
select coalesce(0,sum(b)) from test where a=2;  -- 0 !

So when I use coalesce() with sum(), I always get the constant. I would
have expected it only in the case where sum() returns null..

Coalesce returns the first non-null argument. In your example, 0 is always the first non-null argument. You should be doing this instead:

select coalesce(sum(b),0) from test where a=2;

to get the desired effect.

BTW: This type of questions really belong to pgsql-general or pgsql-novice, this list is for discussing development of PostgreSQL itself.

--
  Heikki Linnakangas

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq