"Jim C. Nasby" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On Mon, Dec 11, 2006 at 12:08:30PM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
>> "Greg Sabino Mullane" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>>> Short version: is it optimal for vacuum to always populate reltuples
>>> with live rows + dead rows?
>>
>> If we didn't do that, it would tend to encourage the use of seqscans on
>> tables with lots of dead rows, which is probably a bad thing.

> So then why does vacuum do that? ISTM that it makes more sense for it to
> act the same as analyze and only count live rows.

I think what you misread what I said: it's better to have the larger
count in reltuples so that the planner won't try to use a seqscan when
there are, say, 3 live tuples and 100K dead ones.  The real problem is
that analyze ought to act more like vacuum, but since it presently
ignores deaders altogether, it fails to.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster