On Dec 21, 2006, at 1:28 PM, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
Jim Nasby wrote:
How about...

ALTER TABLE ...
ALTER AUTOVACUUM [ THRESHOLD | SCALE | COST DELAY | COST LIMIT ]
ALTER AUTOANALYZE [ THRESHOLD | SCALE ]

Given these remarks from Tom:

Where we are currently at is experimenting to find
out what autovacuum's control knobs ought to be. The catalog table was
a suitably low-effort way to expose a first cut at the knobs.

doesn't making language level changes seem more than somewhat premature? Or have we finished experimenting?

Well, the only one I could possibly see removing would be threshold, but the reality is that these parameters have been kicking around since 7.4, so...

But I do like Richard Huxton's suggestion for syntax... that looks a lot more flexible than what I proposed.

The only other thought that comes to mind is that such syntax will make it a *lot* more verbose to set all the options for a table. But I don't know how often people feel the need to set *all* of them at once... Still, it might be worth continuing to support people poking values directly into the table; I just don't think we want to make that the official interface.
--
Jim Nasby                               [EMAIL PROTECTED]

      match