[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
On Wed, Dec 27, 2006 at 10:16:54PM +1100, Gavin Sherry wrote:
On Wed, 27 Dec 2006, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
But actually I'm not convinced we need to worry about efficient storage
of small bitmaps at all. The typical use case for bitmap indexes is
large tables with small number of distinct values, and the problem
doesn't really arise in that scenario. Let's keep it simple for now, we
can enhance it in later releases.
The scenario I'm concerned about is where a sales data base, say, has
100,000 products. However, only 500 or 1000 products are popular. They
dominate, say >99% of the sales. The other 99,900 products consume a
little bit over 8K each for very little benefit :-(.
This is pretty contrived but it seem real world enough...

Seems like a good candidate for CREATE INDEX WHERE :-)

Yeah, that was my first thought as well. However, in Gavin's example it would be a nightmare to manually update the list popular products, and recreate the index when it changes.

Something clever inside bitmap indexam would clearly be better.

But even in that scenario, 99000*8k pages ~= 750 megabytes of wasted space might still be acceptable. Or not.

I wonder what would happen if somebody implemented automatic index
exclusion conditions after use of an INDEX proved to be in the realm
of the worst case scenario? :-)

I'm sorry, I don't understand that sentence...

--
  Heikki Linnakangas

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend