Bruce Momjian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> I don't know enough about the relevent tool to know if they actually
>> generate a warning about whether they need to be rerun. In any case it
>> seems a much better approach to simply run it again when needed rather
>> than printing a warning.

> The problem is that there is no indication from the make (no warning)
> that you have to rerun, and it isn't something people are used to doing
> like with latex.

If the objective is to make it safe against people who do not understand
how the tools work, then I still complain that this method is
insufficient.  All you are testing is whether an index was generated,
not whether it was correct (ie, up to date).  A valid test would be
along the lines of comparing the pre-run and post-run copies of the
index data to see if they're the same.

Perhaps even more to the point, what makes you think that someone will
notice the warning?  If the docs build is one step in an automated build
process, this seems unlikely.