Mario Weilguni <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Thanks for the info. Changing this to use extract is no real problem, I was
> just curious if this is intendend behaviour.

>From the CVS logs:

        * src/include/catalog/: pg_proc.h (REL7_3_STABLE), pg_proc.h
        (REL7_4_STABLE), pg_proc.h (REL8_1_STABLE), pg_proc.h
        (REL8_0_STABLE): Mark to_number() and the numeric-type variants of
        to_char() as stable, not immutable, because their results depend on
        lc_numeric; this is a longstanding oversight.  We cannot force
        initdb for this in the back branches, but we can at least provide
        correct catalog entries for future installations.

        * src/include/catalog/pg_proc.h: Mark to_char(timestamp without
        timezone) as stable, not immutable, since its result now depends on
        the lc_messages setting, as noted by Bruce.  Also, mark to_number()
        and the numeric-type variants of to_char() as stable, because their
        results depend on lc_numeric; this is a longstanding oversight.
        Also, mark to_date() and to_char(interval) as stable; although
        these appear not to depend on any GUC variables as of CVS HEAD,
        that seems a property unlikely to survive future improvements.  It
        seems best to mark all the formatting functions stable and be done
        with it.  catversion not bumped, because this does not seem
        critical enough to force a post-RC1 initdb, and anyway we cannot do
        so in the back branches.

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend