Peter Eisentraut wrote:
Am Montag, 15. Januar 2007 12:42 schrieb Nikolay Samokhvalov:
On 1/15/07, Peter Eisentraut <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Client encoding is A, server encoding is B.  Client sends an xml datum
that looks like this:

INSERT INTO table VALUES (xmlparse(document '<?xml version="1.0"
encoding="C"?><content>...</content>'));

Assuming that A, B, and C are all distinct, this could fail at a number
of places.

I suggest that we make the system ignore all encoding declarations in
xml data.  That is, in the above example, the string would actually
have to be encoded in client encoding B on the client, would be
converted to A on the server and stored as such.  As far as I can tell,
this is easily implemented and allowed by the XML standard.
In other words, in case when B != C server must trigger an error, right?

No, C is ignored in all cases.

Would this mean that if the client_encoding is for example latin1, and I
retrieve an xml document uploaded by a client with client_encoding utf-8 (and thus having encoding="c" in the xml tag), that I would get a document with latin1 encoding but saying that it's utf-8 in it's xml tag?

greetings, Florian Pflug