simple if I use -m64 for 64 bit then all end binaries are generated 64-bit and the shared libraries are generated 32-bit and the compilation fails (ONLY ON SOLARIS) since that particular line is only for the condition Solaris AND gcc.

If I use the COMPILER which is CC + CFLAGS it passes -m64 properly to it and generates shared libraries 64-bit and the compile continues..

I just tested it out.

-Jignesh

Tom Lane wrote:
"Jignesh K. Shah" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
It should be
     LINK.shared         = $(COMPILER) -shared

Why?  What's the difference, and why is it appropriate to fix it that
way instead of by changing CFLAGS?

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend