Tom Lane wrote:

Perhaps we could extend pg_regress to allow "--max-connections=auto"
which would instruct it to set its connection limit to the server's
actual max_connections minus superuser reserved slots (and probably
minus a couple more to allow for backend shutdown time etc).  Then the
buildfarm could use that, while we'd leave the behavior alone for normal
manual regression tests.

This seems needlessly complex. We can tolerate occasional intermittent failures on buildfarm, and if they are persistent there is already a configurable rate limiting mechanism available.

cheers

andrew