Pavan Deolasee wrote:
One assumption I am  making here is that its sufficient to mark the line
"unused" (reset LP_USED flag) even though there is an index entry pointing
the tuple. During index scan, we anyways check for ItemIdIsUsed() before
proceeding further. I know it might break the ctid chain, but does that
matter ? I don't see any reason why somebody would need to follow ctid chain
past a dead tuple.

You can't clear the LP_USED flag, but you could use the LP_DELETE flag that's currently not used in heap pages.

  Heikki Linnakangas