Richard Troy wrote:
In more specific terms, and I'm just brainstorming in public here, perhaps
we can use the power of Schemas within a database to manage such
divisions; commands which pertain to replication can/would include a
schema specifier and elements within the schema can be replicated one way
or another, at the whim of the DBA / Architect. For backwards
compatability, if a schema isn't specified, it indicates that command
pertains to the entire database.

I understand that you're just thinking aloud, but overloading namespaces in this way strikes me as awful. Applications and extensions, which are the things that have need of namespaces, should not have to care about replication. If we have to design them for replication we'll be on a fast track to nowhere IMNSHO.

cheers

andrew

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate