On 2/19/07, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Gregory Stark <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> If you prepare "select *" and add a column, you're saying the query should
> start failing?

Either fail or change output; which you like better?  The whole point of
this exercise is to support plpgsql functions that do something like

        create temp table foo ...
        select * into rec from foo ...
        drop table foo ...

If that's the case, do you think there is a simpler way to handle this
problem than plan invalidation?  Maybe I'm oversimplifying things a
bit here, but how about something like:

create local table foo ...
select * into rec from foo ...

this isn't completely unsurprising...we have 'SET LOCAL, etc.

merlin

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate