we've made mistake and initdb database cluster in wrong locale :-(

Now it's full of data. I've read in the docs that it's not possible to change locale.

But I guess something like this would work:

1) drop all indexes on text/varchar columns
2) change cluster locale
3) create all indexes on text/varchar columns

or even

1) change cluster locale
2) reindex all indexes on text/varchar columns [I'm aware that before reindex queries on top of these indexes would return wrong answers]

Is it possible/safe to do a) or b)? How to do step "change cluster locale"? Where is this information stored?

Or the only way is to rebuild the database cluster from scratch?