Hi there,

We have several patches already discussed in -hackers and waiting for
decision. Current versions adapted for HEAD are available:

1. built-in FTS http://www.sigaev.ru/misc/tsearch_core-0.35.gz

Documentation is available http://mira.sai.msu.su/~megera/pgsql/ftsdoc/
as a separate book, but could be wraped into pg docs - it is in sgml format.
We need definiteness about this patch, since we plan
to give several talks about FTS this spring on several conferences and it'd
be nice to present this new FTS.

btw, after announcing in -hackers, docs were downloaded from 1745 unique
ip's, which indicates people really want built-in FTS.

There is still no consensus about FTS syntax - use SQL commands or SQL
functions,
it is  currently duscussing. All we want is to provide our users clear syntax
without boring SQL functions interface. Users shouldn't bother if we have
our internal problems with SQL parser optimization. It'is very difficult
to add new feature without some overhead, the problem is how big it and could we improve our parser so it will not bound developers.

2. Interval optimization (OR's)
http://www.sigaev.ru/misc/OR_82-0.10.gz

planner overhead
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-12/msg00167.ph

Such queries are frequent and its optimization could be very effective
(several orders of magnitudes). We could have it off by default if planner
overhead concerns and use GUC variable (interval_optimization) to allow people to provide hint for selected queries.

3. Indexing IS NULL
http://www.sigaev.ru/misc/indexnulls_82-0.7.gz

Removed support of indexing IS NOT NULL from previous patch.
See http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2006-12/msg00146.php

Oleg