On Wed, Feb 21, 2007 at 04:14:35PM +0000, Jos?? Orlando Pereira wrote:
> Benjamin Arai wrote:
> > Is there a way to give priorities to queries or users? Something similar to
> > NICE in Linux. My goal is to give the updating (backend) application a very
> > low priority and give the web application a high priority to avoid
> > disturbing the user experience.
> >
> > Thanks in advance!
>
> You might want to look at the following, as they mention a PostgreSQL
> prototype:
>
> http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~natassa/aapubs/conference/priority mechanisms.pdf

That URL should be...
http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~natassa/aapubs/conference/priority%20mechanisms.pdf

There has been extensive discussion on the bizgres list about ways to
implement priorities, and I believe that paper was mentioned. You should
look at the archives.
--
Jim Nasby                                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]

               http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq