On Fri, Feb 23, 2007 at 11:28:07AM -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> > > It's only academic because Monotone is not ready.  As soon as it is
> > > ready we will be pushing much harder.
> >
> > This invites the obvious question -- in which ways in monotone not
> > ready?  Not that I'm trying to imply that monotone *is* ready, of
> > course.
>
> Time to get the initial pull is too long, mostly.  Also, having the
> policy branch stuff will be good, if nothing else because it'll mean
> having 1.0 out, in turn meaning UI stability, etc.  And getting Markus'
> work on the CVS import will be good too (I haven't tried converting
> Postgres' entire CVS repo in a while, and that certainly is a must).
>
> I don't think we're going to get a one-shot migration, so Cristof's work
> on CVS takeover would be really nice to have so that some of us can
> create an "alternative" repo and cater for those that will continue to
> use CVS for a while.

Yes, interoperability with other revision management systems is a
problem for all of the revision management systems.  It might be
de-facto-solved it one system manages to talk effectively to the
important other ones -- it won't be solved permanantly until there are
adequate standard, system-independent protocols ... I don't see that
coming soon.

And there;s the problem of welcoming the prodigal son.
A file gets away from the revision management system, and. much later,
returns, much changed from the experience.  How should we slot it back
into the system?

-- hendrik

       match