> ITAGAKI Takahiro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> > I tested your patch with VACUUM FREEZE. The performance was improved when
> > I set scan_recycle_buffers > 32. I used VACUUM FREEZE to increase WAL
> > traffic,
> > but this patch should be useful for normal VACUUMs with backgrond jobs!
>
> Proving that you can see a different in a worst-case scenario is not the
> same as proving that the patch is useful in normal cases.

I agree, but I think that this VACUUM FREEZE test does actually
represent the normal case, here's why:

The poor buffer manager behaviour occurs if the block is dirty as a
result of WAL-logged changes. It only takes the removal of a single row
for us to have WAL logged this and dirtied the block.

If we invoke VACUUM from autovacuum, we do this by default when 20% of
the rows have been updated, which means with many distributions of
UPDATEs we'll have touched a very large proportion of blocks before we
VACUUM. That isn't true for *all* distributions of UPDATEs, but it will
soon be. Dead Space Map will deliver only dirty blocks for us.

So running a VACUUM FREEZE is a reasonable simulation of running a large
VACUUM on a real production system with default autovacuum enabled, as
will be the case for 8.3.

It is possible that we run VACUUM when fewer dirty blocks are generated,
but this won't be the common situation and not something we should
optimise for.

--
  Simon Riggs