Gregory Stark wrote:
"Ron Mayer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I have a system with many essentially user-defined fields, and was
thinking of creating something similar to an Array type and writing
some GIST indexes for it.

My current workaround is to store them as a YAML document and use
tsearch to index it (with application logic to further refine the
results) - but a EAV datatype that could be put in tables and
effectively indexed would be of quite a bit of interest here.
And yes, a better say to do UDFs would be even cooler.

I think that's what hstore does. Honestly I'm not entirely certain though.

Does hstore nest? My impression is that it doesn't. Which might well not matter, of course.

cheers

andrew

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate