Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
What you want is that when you call a perl tablefunction that as soon
as the perl function returns a row to return that to the caller. That
means the perl interpreter has to be able to save all its state,
return to the caller and when next called resume where it left off.
I don't know if it can do that, but it would have to be implemented for
each language (or use threads).

We haven't even worked out how to do that cleanly for plpgsql, which we control, let alone for any third party interpreter.

I'm not convinced it would be a huge gain anyway. Switching madly in and out of the perl interpreter at least is a known performance problem, IIRC - Perl XML objects have, or used to have, problems with that (and they still don't perform terribly well).

cheers

andrew

               http://www.postgresql.org/about/donate