Interesting. So we'd add a flag to the index tuples in GiST indicating if the tuple is lossily compressed or not. The compress-function would set that flag when it performs lossy compression, and gistgettuple would return it to the caller.

Keys in GiST index may be another type than column on which index was created, so gistgettuple can not return tuple in original form - but sometimes gistgettuple may be sure that recheck isn't needed.

That would completely replace the current RECHECK-option we have, right?
Yeah, this is possible.

--
Teodor Sigaev                                   E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
                                                   WWW: http://www.sigaev.ru/

TIP 6: explain analyze is your friend