Pavan Deolasee wrote:
On 3/28/07, Tom Lane <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

"Florian G. Pflug" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> Couldn't you store the creating transaction's xid in pg_index, and
> let other transaction check that against their snapshot like they
> would for any tuple's xmin or xmax?

What snapshot?  I keep having to remind people that system catalog
operations are SnapshotNow.  In the particular context here, the
place where doing something else would break down is that the planner
has no idea when it makes a plan what snapshot(s) the plan might later
be used with.

Tom, please correct me if I am wrong. But ISTM that this idea might
work in this context. In get_relation_info(), we would check if "xcreate"
xid stored in pg_index for the index under consideration is seen
committed with respect to the snapshot at that point of time.
Even if the snapshot changes later and index becomes valid, we
might not replan and hence not use index. But that doesn't seem
like a big problem to me.

That problem are usecases like
PREPARE my_plan .... ;
BEGIN;
EXECUTE my_plan .... ;
COMMIT ;

Is that "PREPARE" even run inside a transaction? Even if it is, it
probably won't have created a snapshot...

I think allowing the use of some sort of snapshot from inside the planner
would allow some locking to be relaxed, but there seems be a lot of
corner cases to consider :-(

OTOH, if you manage to make this work, a TRUNCATE that doesn't block
concurrent selects might become possible to do. This would for example
allow dropping and rebuilding subscriptions on a slony node while it
is in use.

greetings, Florian Pflug