I'm informed that the last statement of a function that returns void cannot be a SELECT. How else is one supposed to call another function which also returns void?

E.g.,

CREATE FUNCTION foo (a int, b int) RETURNS void
        LANGUAGE plpgsql
        AS $$ do important things $$;

CREATE FUNCTION foo (a int) RETURNS void
        LANGUAGE sql
        AS $$ SELECT foo($1, default-value); $$;

Hello Peter

it's problem. You cannot do it now. One year ago I sent patch

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2006-03/msg00196.php

Regards
Pavel Stehule