Tatsuo Ishii wrote:

> BTW, every encoding has its own charset. However the relationship
> between encoding and charset are not so simple as Unicode. For
> example, encoding EUC_JP correponds to multiple charsets, namely
> ASCII, JIS X 0201, JIS X 0208 and JIS X 0212. So a function which
> returns a "code point" is not quite usefull since it lacks the charset
> info. I think we need to continute design discussion, probably
> targetting for 8.4, not 8.3.

Is Unicode complete as far as Japanese chars go?  I mean, is there a
character in EUC_JP that is not representable in Unicode?

Because if Unicode is complete, ISTM it makes perfect sense to have a
unicode_char() (or whatever we end up calling it) that takes an Unicode
code point and returns a character in whatever JIS set you want
(specified by setting client_encoding to that).  Because then you solved
the problem nicely.

One thing that I find confusing in your text above is whether EUC_JP is
an encoding or a charset?  I would think that the various JIS X are
encodings, and EUC_JP is the charset; or is it the other way around?

       match